xcell 60 gas

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rinker232
New Pilot

xcell 60 gas

by rinker232 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:22 pm

I have a older xcel 60 I got from a friend who's dad had but has passed away
and the son didn't want. It has not been flown or started for several years. I have
some exsperience with gas RC planes. My son wants to bring it back to life. Everything
seems to be working. We replaces all the battery packs, fuel line and verified all servos
are working corretly. Our next purchase is fuel and then try to fire it up.

Any suggestions since engine hasn't benn run in who knows how long.

It will turn over when the startes is put to it seems to have good compression.

benjomeen
Squadron Leader

by benjomeen » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:12 pm

generally nitro engines get gummed up with old caster thats in the fuel . i would take engine out and run over it . carb some times gets tight and make sure the engine turns nice and freely . if all is well shoulf fire no problem

rinker232
New Pilot

by rinker232 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks
Next problem / question.. I got it to fire and run fairly smooth first try. Had rpetty good
thottle responce didn't fly just played around on ground. The next day went to a school to do some flying and it would not stay running. It would start but as soon as I started to inceease power it would die. Almost acting like it was getting flooded.
Any help on what happened in 24 hours and what to do to fix it??

benjomeen
Squadron Leader

by benjomeen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:17 pm

was weather any different ??? your correct about it floodin it will almost certainly need leaned out . does it sound farty . or like its missing . like a car would sound with one cyclinder not firing . if yes just try 1/8 to 1/4 turn on main needle

rinker232
New Pilot

by rinker232 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Yes it sounds a little rough.. Not a nice smooth sound..
I have moved the neddle but really didnt hear any different action to the engine.
One time when it was running I got down and turn the needle about 1/4turn in and out and didn't notice any differnece in engine. I took the needle all the way out and cleaned it reinstalled and still it will only idea not additional power.
Shpuld I completly remove the engine then remove and clean carb?
What is the recommended needle setting I'm thinking 2 -2 1/2 turns out from closed.

benjomeen
Squadron Leader

by benjomeen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:48 pm

2 - 2 ,1/2 will be too much out . i always start from 2 and work in . normally ends up about 1 ,1/2 or less when tuned . u wont notice a difference while its idling main needle comes in about 50 % throttle roughly . u can check ur bottom end needle . u can check the engine by nipping the fuel tube to see if the engine speeds up or not if it does its to rich . u can do this at low and high throttle . low throttle will indicate the low end jet is to rich if it speeds up and at hight throttle that the main needle is to rich but nipping the fuel tube on a heli while its spooled up full tilt will be hard to do lol . not adviseable . but thats how i test planes engines obvious difference is that the prop on a plane is at the front and u can get at the fuel tubing . its a trial and error thing . just keep leaning it out bit at a time . and feel the engine back plate should be able to hold ur finger on for a few seconds before it starts to feel hot hot .

rinker232
New Pilot

by rinker232 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks
I'll try some of you info tonight
I'm in Westfield,Indiana for it's 1 in the afternoon right now...

rinker232
New Pilot

by rinker232 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Help please. My OS MAx .61SF can to life this weekend with a couple minor problems.
I got ti fired up and running . It would spit and sputter just past idle for a few seconds then take off and scream. At about 40% thottle it would quit . Just shut down with no warning. It is installed in the helo but wired down to a work surface. It also has a lot of fuel coming out exhaust and from the silicone collar between header and pipe.
i was told that my bearing are rusted or rough and I need to replace them . Is this True? I would think it would br my piston ring since it acts like it was just hit with a ton of fuel. Not sure any advise????

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1