swash plate level

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RichieB
Junior Pilot

swash plate level

by RichieB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:38 am

Think this is a pretty easy problem to solve but i'm just missing something....

Setting up the swash plate on my 450Pro using a leveling tool. I've set the servo arms level, used a digital vernier to set the link length, and have set the swash to the leveling tool at 50% travel.

When I check at top and bottom of the travel not all the servo's are travelling the same distance. Trouble is, one is okay at the top but not at the bottom, and another is okay at the bottom but not at the top, and all are okay at mid stick.

I'm guessing its the travel adjust setting on my DX6i but played around with figures and just cant get them all set correctly through full travel......Help

Also seem to have a problem with setting the blade pitch. Using a flybar lock and a pitch gauge with a spirit level attached, set to zero pitch at mid stick but when I rotate the head by 180 degrees the pitch changes. This could be down to the heli not being level as the kitchen table isnt great, or related to my swash issue above.

Guidance would be very helpful at this frustrating time.....lol

Richard
Richard

Belt CP V2 - RDTS Mod - Acer Lab 40A ESC
DX6i
Trex 250 Part Built
Trex 450 Sport part built
Trex 450 Pro
Trex 550E
Mini Titan SE + Cobra fuse
E-Flight MSR
Syma S006 Alloy Shark - Good for winding up the dogs!!!!

BenjaminInterceptor400
Group Captain

by BenjaminInterceptor400 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 am

Hey,

Sounds like you're going about it correctly. How different is the travel at the top and bottom? Are the servos all moving in the same direction as they should? If one is a little out then use travel adjust. To use it you have to also move the sticks to change the direction you want to set. If the servo is moving in the wrong direction then use the swashmix. Does that kinda make sense? Hard to type on this phone.
DJI S900 + WKM + Zenmuse + Panasonic GH4 + 12mm lens.
GensAce Lipos
http://www.roguestatemedia.co
https://vimeo.com/channels/722190

randalsh
Air Vice Marshal

by randalsh » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:54 am

It would seem the pitch problem is connected to the swash problem.

First of all are the servo arms all at 90 degrees at mid stick? If you can't get them spot on, you may have to resort to sub-trim.
This is vital as any variation will effect the swash level more at extremes of throw.

If the answer is yes, then you should be able to iron out the swash at extremes with the travel adjust. But it can be a fiddly job to get it perfect and it's best to get it right mechanically in the first place.

It's also worth checking all the head linkages and wash out arms etc are all perfectly set up - a loose screw can cause no end of probs.

Regards the pitch changing as you turn the head. Instead of using a spirit level, try using the flybar as a guide. Hold the flybar rigid and level as you do this - I use the blade caddy to hold one paddle parallel to the boom. That way it won't matter if the heli is not perfectly level.

If you have not already, check out Finless Bob's 450 build guide.
He covers everything you could possibly need to know.
FINLESS BOB
Randal

CHARLEY, the Rock and the Hard Place

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/382610

Trex 450 SE. 65mgs & 401
Trex 450 Pro. Fbl. Spartan VX1e.
DX7
mCPx.
Phoenix.

pgkevet
Wing Commander

by pgkevet » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 am

imbalance in the swash with a90deg rotation midstick has to be the surface, a really dodgy build or it wasn't level the other way first.
Simples...
pgk

Trex 450 SE v3
Clone 450 pro
Trex 500 ESP
Trex 600N
Trex 700N
Spectra-G Gasser
Blitz Avro

RichieB
Junior Pilot

by RichieB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks for the replies......it was something pretty simple I was overlooking...and you nailed it benjamin, I didnt realise that the travel adjust function moved the end point dependant on the direct you set the sticks, I assumes incorrectly that the percentage on the Tx was a total % travel increase and not directions.....DOH.. will be easy to solve now.

Thanks for the suggestions Randalsh, I'm confident not that the problem was casued by the heli not being level. The fly bar lock is a hand piece of kit but only works if the heli is level, wasnt thinking straight last night that the pitch is relevant to the flybar level as well....another DOH

Hopefully will be flying by tomorrow and crashing by sunday.....lol

Ta for the help

Richard
Richard

DX6i

Trex 250 Part Built

Trex 450 Pro

Trex 550E

E-Flight MSR

RichieB
Junior Pilot

by RichieB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks for the replies......it was something pretty simple I was overlooking...and you nailed it benjamin, I didnt realise that the travel adjust function moved the end point dependant on the direct you set the sticks, I assumes incorrectly that the percentage on the Tx was a total % travel increase and not directions.....DOH.. will be easy to solve now.

Thanks for the suggestions Randalsh, I'm confident not that the problem was casued by the heli not being level. The fly bar lock is a hand piece of kit but only works if the heli is level, wasnt thinking straight last night that the pitch is relevant to the flybar level as well....another DOH

Hopefully will be flying by tomorrow and crashing by sunday.....lol

Ta for the help

Richard
Richard

DX6i

Trex 250 Part Built

Trex 450 Pro

Trex 550E

E-Flight MSR

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1