Pulling to one side when taking off!

No other clones please, see forum below.
25 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pixelthis
New Pilot

Pulling to one side when taking off!

by pixelthis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:18 pm

I have just received my CopterX 450 ME V2, I have followed everything setting the radio up and the gyro, lock threaded every screw one by one. However I am having some problems taking off, the helicopter seems to pull to one side which if I keep going will end up with the blades hitting to floor! At first it was the tail spinning which I fixed with a little trim, but I can't seem to fix why it's pulling over to one side! I don't dare take off with it doing this!

Any help please?

Qube444
Senior Pilot

by Qube444 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:25 pm

The obvious question is have you levelled the swash at mid, low and hign stick?
Don

pixelthis
New Pilot

by pixelthis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:33 pm

No I havn't this is my first 6 channel, it is unlevel how do I go about setting it level?

mrdunny
Group Captain

by mrdunny » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Your gonna need to do LOADS of homework my friend. Please be safe, and to be safe, you need to have a bit of setup knowledge :wink:

You will need a swash levelling tool to have a dead accurate swash, but you can learn the basics with an eye level swash :wink:

But again, YOU WILL NEED TO DO MORE HOMEWORK, cos just a level swash ain't gonna get you flying :shock: Read up on setting up a RC helicopter to gain a bit of understanding before you go fly.

You my want to think about purchasing a PITCH GUAGE too :wink: 8)

randalsh
Air Vice Marshal

by randalsh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Hi Pixie.

I don't know what you do know.

Helis are always going to go their own way at take off.
Your job is to anticipate and control it.

How much experience do you have and have you done your homework?
Randal

CHARLEY, the Rock and the Hard Place

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/382610

Trex 450 SE. 65mgs & 401
Trex 450 Pro. Fbl. Spartan VX1e.
DX7
mCPx.
Phoenix.

paulsouthport
Group Leader

Website: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSouthport?feature=mhum

by paulsouthport » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi Pixelthis

I have a fairly large PDF document that runs through the entire mechanical and electronic setup of a 450 clone. It's based on the T6 type radio, which if yours is from CX it will be a derivative of (although it's valid for pretty much any radio)
If you want it, PM me your email and I'll send it to you. I found it an invaluable tool when setting up my 1st 450.

cheers
Paul

Trex 450 Pro, BeastX, 450MX
mCPX
FL Spitfire - Rest In Pieces
Recycloquad (tm)
Edge 540 Foamy
AXN Floater Jet

DX6i, gt power a606, imax b6, A610
http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSouthport?feature=mhum

Qube444
Senior Pilot

by Qube444 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Pixelthis,

If you need any help I am also in Nottingham and would be happy to lend a hand. PM me if you need to.
Don

pixelthis
New Pilot

by pixelthis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:59 pm

I don't think I am taking off quickly enough which makes it more of a sway to one side!

Iv been trying to hover in doors and can't because well it would hit something so, ill take it out tomorrow and give a good take off I guess then ill see when I try hover if its really out?

paulsouthport
Group Leader

by paulsouthport » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Just as a matter of interest, what's your previous flying experience?

And you're right, flying a 450 indoors is a very bad idea - these things bite hard

mCPX
Recycloquad (tm)
Edge 540 Foamy
AXN Floater Jet

Wobbly_Hover
Senior Pilot

by Wobbly_Hover » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Pixel,
+1 :D to Dunnys advise.
Without a knowledge of basic set up then my advise would be that you need to be very careful, an incorrectly set up heli is dangerous. If you google Chopperaddict there is loads of information on there. Ian ( Chopperaddict ) is a top bloke and realy knows his stuff. Im not sure where you are in the uk but I would seriously encourage you to contact Ian and arrange for a 1 to 1 day with him. He will make sure you set off on the right tack and save you hours of endless headscratching, most importantly he will give you advise to ensure your heli is safe to fly.

Now I know what you are thinking but I dont get any comission from Ian...LOL without a basic understanding you will quickly lose heart and a shed load of cash buying spares. You may also hurt yourself as these little brutes can bite hard.
Stuart.
I started out with nothing...and still have most of it left !

Trex 450 S CF, 65mg's HK401
Trex 450 SE V2, 65mg's Futaba GY401
Blade MSR
Blade 120SR
Walkera CB180D
DX6i.
Phoenix v3

randalsh
Air Vice Marshal

by randalsh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Please don't try and fly a 450 indoors!

Unless you have a huge flying area you are asking for trouble.

We are talking about blades that will cut flesh to the bone!

Do not underestimate the danger of theses machines!
Randal

CHARLEY, the Rock and the Hard Place

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/382610

Trex 450 SE. 65mgs & 401

Trex 450 Pro. Fbl. Spartan VX1e.

DX7

mCPx.

Phoenix.

Jeekay56
New Pilot

by Jeekay56 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Pixelthis,

I'm not really qualified to give advice as I've yet to maiden my 450 (this coming weekend, honest), but I would suggest you view Finless Bob's build videos.

Graham (also in Nottingham)
Gaui 550 (dead for the forseeable future)
Scorpion Tricopter
CX500SE TT
CX 450 Pro TT
Blade 120 SR
DX6i

pixelthis
New Pilot

by pixelthis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:02 pm

I have a rather large sitting room, Anyway I took it outside for a quick session, managed to hover for just under a minute or so a little shaky on the back end did a quick search and turned down the gyro sensitivity, back up in the air was OK! Did a 3rd flight and well crashed, into a bin completely lost control of the hover big gust of wind...

It has bent the stabilizer bar with the paddles on which was rather easy to straighten out then realised one of the balls has broken off which controls the pitch, I'm rather shocked to find most of the head is plastic seeing as I spent nearly £200 on this, I used a little of the glue supplied its OK now but something is not right and am not going to risk flying it till I find a replacement head / part.

Image Is what broke!

Is there a better replacement head for this model every link / part is plastic, or that individual part?

Edit**

I believe it is this part:

http://www.copterx.co.uk/shop/parts/hea ... 01-04.html ?

mrdunny
Group Captain

by mrdunny » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 pm

PIXELTHIS

SERIOUSLY :shock: :shock: :shock: DO SOME HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU HURT YOURSELF OR SOMEONE.

If you have JUST REALISED that the head is plastic...... You have obviously NOT done a flight check, let alone look over the bird for defects ect :shock:

Please please, before you do some serious damage, understand a bit more about your heli.

I'm not trying to put you down personally, but it's chap's like yourself that give this hobby a bad reputation.

Mate, you gotta understand the dangers of the heli FIRST, and how to set it up. Please do more research and gain a better respect for yourself and others and their property :wink:

Sorry to grumble, but it's gotta be said :shock: 8)

pixelthis
New Pilot

by pixelthis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Thank you for the advise, it was checked over and it was less then 10 inches from the ground! I am very aware these bigger helicopters can hurt someone!

CloggieUK
Group Leader

by CloggieUK » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 pm

I really, sincerely hope that that was a joke about glueing the see saw mixer arm (the part you circled in the picture)??

You cannot glue these parts if they broke. You are really asking for a nasty accident my friend...
René

CloggieCopterâ„¢ (Tarot) 450 Pro, Align 450M, HW Platinum Pro 40A, D12-MG, Assan GA-250 + HSG-5084MG
CloggieCopterâ„¢ (Tarot) 500 ESP, AX Typhoon 500H, HW Platinum Pro 80A, MG930, Quark + DS520
Futaba T7CH, R617FS and FrSky TFR8-S

CloggieUK
Group Leader

by CloggieUK » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Oops, double post... Where the fook is the delete button?
René

CloggieCopterâ„¢ (Tarot) 450 Pro, Align 450M, HW Platinum Pro 40A, D12-MG, Assan GA-250 + HSG-5084MG
CloggieCopterâ„¢ (Tarot) 500 ESP, AX Typhoon 500H, HW Platinum Pro 80A, MG930, Quark + DS520
Futaba T7CH, R617FS and FrSky TFR8-S

pixelthis
New Pilot

by pixelthis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:05 pm

CloggieUK wrote:I really, sincerely hope that that was a joke about glueing the see saw mixer arm (the part you circled in the picture)??

You cannot glue these parts if they broke. You are really asking for a nasty accident my friend...

I did at first but never spun it up and won't either till the replacement comes!

neomagik
Flight Commander

by neomagik » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:17 pm

Although you may think that you've straightened your flybar, it won't be dead straight and will contribute to instability. Get yourself a few of these as spares as well as main shafts, feathering shafts main gears and main blades. There's nothing more annoying than waiting for parts on a good flying day.
Last edited by neomagik on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PPL (H) - Robinson R22 - See me fly -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm8sFFMTCHc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ds9QGxeUE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjhBbi-jg2Q
Trex 450SE V2
500 EFL PRO
Brushless mcp x
DX6i

mrdunny
Group Captain

by mrdunny » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:20 pm

pixelthis wrote:I did at first but never spun it up and won't either till the replacement comes!

While your waiting for replacement's, do plenty of reading and as someone has already suggested, watch Finless Bob's set up vid's over at helifreak. Do yourself a BIG favour my friend 8)

paulsouthport
Group Leader

by paulsouthport » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:22 pm

+1 to what neomagic said. Those are the essentials.

Just check which feathering shaft it uses - the older plastic head HK's (and presumably CX) used 3mm shafts while the newer HK's use 4mm shafts. Best to use Align shafts and gears, they are so much better and available from Heliguy real quick

mCPX
Recycloquad (tm)
Edge 540 Foamy
AXN Floater Jet

Friskle
Group Captain

by Friskle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Totally agree with MrDunny`s advice here, and sometimes it needs blunt remarks to make someone think.

Dont know if anyone noticed the crack in the arm that had broke? but you can see where its glued, imho, that heli is totally unsafe now, and should be grounded completely until proper parts have been fitted.

you say you wont spin up while its glued, so why bother to glue it? honestly, i hope you dont.
The handyman
Visionaire
Cougar V2
WKM - Daya 550 Frame + T-Motor 800KV + Aurora 9 + GoPro4 BE + 2-Axis Brushless Gimbal
Blade 200QX
ZMR250 - RCX 2400kv motors - Acro Naze32 - 5x3 Carbons - Fatshark FPV set up
250 Pro Frame - DYS 2300kv Motors - Acro Naze32 - 5x4 Carbons

pixelthis
New Pilot

by pixelthis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Many many thanks for all the help guys, I am going to be reading lots and I shall check out Finless bobs videos! I have ordered a metal replacement part hopefully should be here shortly, hopefully will have better luck next time! It's amazing the difference between coax and these, I can fly my coax all around the house no problem what so ever, this I had trouble just hovering, I am trying to find a more active club, the one I currently am in have literally one flight a month and no heli flyers apart from one 14 year old and his raptor 50, maybe then can find someone with some experience can give it a good look through.

Does anyone know the range these helicopters can go? The box has no manual or nothing!

PS: the simulator included with this heli is a complete joke, its like super mario brothers!

Friskle
Group Captain

by Friskle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Range ? , easy one, it will still be under control far after you have lost sight of it, hmm by then, it probably wont be under control lol.
The handyman
Visionaire
Cougar V2
WKM - Daya 550 Frame + T-Motor 800KV + Aurora 9 + GoPro4 BE + 2-Axis Brushless Gimbal
Blade 200QX
ZMR250 - RCX 2400kv motors - Acro Naze32 - 5x3 Carbons - Fatshark FPV set up
250 Pro Frame - DYS 2300kv Motors - Acro Naze32 - 5x4 Carbons

Jeekay56
New Pilot

by Jeekay56 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:06 pm

[quote="pixelthis"] I am trying to find a more active club, the one I currently am in have literally one flight a month and no heli flyers apart from one 14 year old and his raptor 50, maybe then can find someone with some experience can give it a good look through.

Does anyone know the range these helicopters can go? The box has no manual or nothing!
quote]

There's a heli only club, called Phoenix Rotors, that meet every Tuesday in Arnold, they have a field out near Farnsfield. I will probably joining this club.

The manual for the CX450 is one of the pdf files on the CD you will have received, it's not very detailed so you will be better off downloading the Trex 450 manual available on this site.

As for spare parts, you could probably get a complete CX450 Pro TT from Hong Kong or China for a third of what you paid (I did). And while you wait for it to arrive you will have plenty of time to strip down and loctite every metal to metal screw and bolt, just dont get loctite on your plastic servos (see I'm still learning too) :)

Take care,

Graham
Gaui 550 (dead for the forseeable future)

Scorpion Tricopter

CX500SE TT

CX 450 Pro TT

Blade 120 SR

DX6i

25 posts   •   Page 1 of 1