Topic Review

forza
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject:
Ultimately I have increased the cyclic pitch delay (flybar feel) of the 3GX which has given the heli a more weighted feel with the benefit of better stability and greater tracking through moves. The trade-off being that i've had to increase my swash mix values to increase the flip/ roll rates as they were slower than before. I have also found that the heli has a much greater hang-time aroung zero pitch which makes it tremendously simple to transition between moves and also to slow down piroflips to a snail's pace which looks pretty cool.
forza
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject:
I can confirm it works. Just right click on your desktop, select new, then select text document. Call the file what you like then copy and paste the settings in the above post. Place the finished file in the 3GX folder found under C:/My_setting/3GX and that's it.
forza
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject:
If you copy the text below into a text document exactly as it is then it should work. This is on a TREX 600NSP setup as per the 3GX manual with Align DS610 on cyclic and DS620 on throttle and rudder so it may feel different for other heli setups and adjustments may have to be made to the swashmix with regards to flip/ roll rate to suit your style or preference.

0;
1;
1;
60;
60;
50;
0;
50;
70;
70;
70;
50;
50;
70;
70;
70;
70;
70;
70;
70;
50;
40;
75;
80;
0;
7;
forza
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject:
Haven't been out flying for 5 weeks but back to back flew the beastx and 3GX today with my latest settings changes. Extremely happy with the new setup. There were no hiccups or funny tendancies during the flight and these units are now definitely on par with each other without doubt.

It's taken some systematic tweeking to find out exactly how settings changes make the heli feel in the air and to find some middle ground between stability and nimbleness so now i'm happy i'm sure Align will bring out V1.3 so that I can start from scratch again.

I can't post up the settings file directly but i'm willing to e-mail it or i'll try and post the text here and you'll have to copy and paste it into a text file (if that works).
forza
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject:
Out of sheer boredom i have been tweeking on V1.2 one step at a time to get a better idea of how the setting affects the feel of the heli and after my 4th stage of setting changes i think i'm nigh on there with the 3GX now.

The last flight i had showed some real promise with being more stable and consistent than i've managed to get it before and giving me the confidence I had from the off with the BeastX unit. I'm still not overly enthusiastic about the way in which the collective seems at times to dig in too much but I may try to overcome this by flattening the pitch curve on the radio. With any luck Align might make a new settings bar for collective feel at a later date.
forza
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject:
Not overly enthusiastic about v1.2 at the moment. The elevator doesn't feel right somehow. It's as if align have given mid stick a little pitch boost to improve the tic tocs but at the same time it has made piroflips a mess. I think I'll go back to v1.1. I had a lot of success with it in the end and was flying it more than the beastx ESP.
forza
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject:
I've just finished setting up the 3GX with the new V1.2 firmware update. I'm hoping to test it tomorrow and hopefully i'll report back with no issues Smile
forza
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject:
The cyclic issue was a slight kick-out on the aileron but I've somehow managed to reduce it.

As for the gain I think with the dx6i the gyro gain was always around 68% for me on most gyros and now it's more like 35% when I've used the dx7 & DSX9 and I believe that will be the same for the DX8.
mgorgis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject:
Well that's good news for those how have BeastX and 3GX (me included Smile). Went myself out today with the 600EFL 3GX and just did some hovering, climb outs, piros and some FF was very careful and listening to any suspeciuos sounds from the heli. This machine make much less sound than my Tarot/Align 500!! very smooth and very very agile compared to my 600N Very Happy

What cyclic issue do you have Tony? Noticed today that my heli is drifting to the right, took away the 3GX pad and replaced with the universal double sided adhesive tape that I use on my 600N and 500 and it works great! Made it better here too but still.

I also changed from DX6i to DX8 so I'm trying to get used to it. The gyro gain on the DX8 is different from the DX6i in that the DX8 have -100.....100 and the DX6i has 0...100% so I'm wondering what would e.g. 65% from the DX6i correspond to on the DX8?
forza
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject:
The flights went well with both units. Gave the 3GX software a reset and only some minor tweaks this time before i headed out.

I maintained very similar flight routines but this time it was a fairly even match. The beastx pulled off more accurate rolls the 3GX still gave me the extra confidence factor with the lower piroflips everything else was too close to call if I'm honest. For anyone choosing between the 2 units I would say it will come down to whether or not you want something that will fly out of the box with minimal tweaking or something that can have it's characteristics modded to varying extremes. Once you've got the settings you want both units will give pleasing results.

Now it's time to shut up and enjoy the flying.........until the future updates come out Wink
forza
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject:
Will be heading out in the next half hour to do back to back flights of the beastx and the 3GX. I haven't been able to resolve the cyclic issue I had but at least this will prove if it's the heli or me that's at fault.
mgorgis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject:

mgorgis wrote:

forza wrote:

At the point where you say the 3GX is powerless don't turn anything off. Remove the bind plug only and let the 3GX initiate first THEN you can turn it off.

How long time should I wait after removing the bind plug? Didn't wait more than 10sec. Got some advice from another forum that the AR8000 satellite must be connected, I didn't have it connected as I thought I'll mount it somewhere later.

Did as the guys from the other forum suggested about connecting the satellite and it works. 3GX unit initialized directly when Rx light gets solid so everything is OK now Very Happy

Thanks!
mgorgis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject:

forza wrote:

At the point where you say the 3GX is powerless don't turn anything off. Remove the bind plug only and let the 3GX initiate first THEN you can turn it off.

How long time should I wait after removing the bind plug? Didn't wait more than 10sec. Got some advice from another forum that the AR8000 satellite must be connected, I didn't have it connected as I thought I'll mount it somewhere later.
forza
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject:
mgorgis
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject:

forza wrote:

Technically you are updating the program on windows. I uninstalled V1.0 and downloaded V1.1 I opened it with the winrar program and installed it. Once installed go into the 3GX program and click on firmware update and follow the instructions.

Do you by any chance use an AR8000 Rx? Today I got the new DX8 Tx and AR8000 Rx to put on my new 600 EFL with the 3GX. I have problem to get the 3GX working, here's how I connect:
External BEC to the 3GX unit and from the batt out (3GX) to the AR8000 Bind/Dat port
Aile, elev...etc connected
So, when I try to bind I connect the batt out from the 3GX unit to aux2 or aux3 of the AR8000 to provide it with power. I then connect the bind plug to the bind/dat port of the AR8000, turn on RX then hold the bind button and turn on Tx, binding succeeds but the 3GX unit is powerless but connected directly to the BEC. Turn of Rx and then Tx, remove bind plug and connect everything back, turn on Tx then Rx and the 3GX initializes correctly and swashpalte does the up and down movement BUT nothing is working when I give stick commands, servos are though on and do the normal buzz, what am I missing here?

Edit: forgot to mention that when I use the orange Rx with the DX6i and same procedure then it works perfectly!
forza
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject:
Technically you are updating the program on windows. I uninstalled V1.0 and downloaded V1.1 I opened it with the winrar program and installed it. Once installed go into the 3GX program and click on firmware update and follow the instructions.
mgorgis
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject:

forza wrote:

mgorgis wrote:

Hi forza,

I have the same problem regarding the full negative pitch when I turn of Tx. I also have v1.0 installed on the pc. How did you sort out the fail safe issue?

You first need to update to V1.1 then rebind the rx as usual except when the satellite lights are solid do not turn off the power straight away. Instead remove the bind plug first and let the 3GX initialise fully then power down.

Update the program on Windows or update the 3GX unit?
forza
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject:
2 more flights and a gallon of fuel through the 3GX and i'm still tweaking. Here's the next video.

Link
forza
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject:

mgorgis wrote:

Hi forza,

I have the same problem regarding the full negative pitch when I turn of Tx. I also have v1.0 installed on the pc. How did you sort out the fail safe issue?

You first need to update to V1.1 then rebind the rx as usual except when the satellite lights are solid do not turn off the power straight away. Instead remove the bind plug first and let the 3GX initialise fully then power down.
mgorgis
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject:
Hi forza,

forza
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject:
Thanks Vinny. I think that overall the beastX, as I have it setup, is far superior for aerobatic manoeuvres but so far the 3GX is definitely winning in the piroflip stakes. As you say, it seems a little more fluid and natural. I did comment in my beastX thread that the beastX piroflips felt digital. If I can get the normal flips working properly then I'll be a very happy bunny! Fingers crossed.
vinnyd155
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject:
great reading and good info there forza,i keep getting to the point of getting a 550 but then the bills come Sad maybe this week some time,really torn between the 3g kit and the 3gx kit,im using 3g on my 500 and i absolutly love it,i dare say i rather it over the beastx at the moment,it just lets the heli slide a bit more,like a bit looser,anyway looking forward to see what you come up with with your tweaking
forza
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject:
5 more flights today. Last night I tinkered with the software and increased the pirouette compensation settings slightly and i'm happy enough with that side of it. I also adjusted the setting to make the heli feel more like a flybar (weighted) and this felt much better in the air. I find that the collective pitch is very aggressive around mid-stick and can catch you out when flying low so i flattened the pitch curve around mid-stick (S curve) and again it showed great promise for my style of flying. The funnel figure eights, etc. were much more controlled but didn't effect the faster moves like the piroflips which was a bonus.

I definitely have a slight drift to the left which is effecting the hovering and more importantly the flips which is the one issue i need to sort. I have tried increasing expo, etc. in case it was me but the issue is too consistent for that. I also tried adjusting the swashplate link one turn but the the flips started kinking off the other way. It is either the drift or the tail giving a slight kick when adding collective but this is also the reason why i flattened the pitch curve in hope the kick would stop(there is also a pronounced slow wag in the hover now as well). The gyro gain is spot on as it holds perfect in fast funnels. I ended up putting the link back where it was and i'm dubious about using any subtrim when in the setup menu.

Inspiration struck me and i think i'm going to try using a thicker BeastX pad instead of the thin gel gyro pad to see if this shows promise. I will post my conclusions later hopefully.
forza
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject:
Thanks Stanley.
stanley1
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject:
awesome flight Tony, very well controlled mate Very Happy