Maplin's helicopters

bushtrekker
New Pilot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:40 pm
Post subject: Maplin's helicopters
I've always fancied having a go at flying a model helicopter, so yesterday I used some birhtday money to buy one of Maplins three channel Lynx models. I asked about spares and was told I could get them by mail order. I opened the box to find that someone had been there before me, as the wired that held it in were twisted differently.

When I plugged in the charger the light didn't come on, but I found the battery was already charged, so tried it in the, living room, raising the speed slowly and watching for signs of lift off. When it did take off it it did so backwards and sideways, nearly amputating a toe on it's way. Last night I took it into the garage and tried various techniques for a clean lift off, but it still slewed onto its side.

This morning I took it onto the lawn, where it took off, turned sideways and neatly broke one of the lower blade attachment points. I rang Maplins online, who told me that spares were not available for this model and told me to take it back for replacement or refund, but I have a number of issues with it.

On the box it says it is suitable for over 14's and easy to fly, which it clearly is not and represents a safety hazard.

The instructions are written in pidgin english and are sparse to say the least.

Given the above, I'm tempted to take it to trading standards instead of back to Maplins, before someone else shells out 50 for something which could cause major damage on Christmas morning!
Cheers, John
Back to top Profile Private Message
Board Alert Board Message
There are 75 posts in this topic to view if you are logged in.

Why Register?

• Your details are kept secure and private.
  • Heliguy.com will not share your details
  • You can unsubscribe at any time
PM Earlgrey for any forum queries.

Login here and be redirected to this Topic Register

Jump to: