Main/Tail rotor direction - is it important?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sammy5
New Pilot

Main/Tail rotor direction - is it important?

by Sammy5 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:25 am

Dear learned members of the community.

I'm in the early stages of modelling my Trex 450 on a Hughes MD500. Having studied photographs and drawings of the original aircraft, I noticed that the main and tail rotors both spin CCW. Most model helicopters have the main and tail rotors spinning in opposite directions, the Trex is CW for main and CCW for tail.

I'm quite tempted to try (by reversing the polarity of the motor to ESC connection) to reverse the main rotor direction on my model to CCW, and to manipulate the tail box to try and do the same for the tail rotor.

Emphasis on the word 'try'.

Does anyone present here today know of any real reason why this unholy matrimony may not go ahead? I'm thinking conflicting gyroscopic forces could be an issue but while I am offshore this remains a thought experiment, however do promise to upload video of my beloved tearing itself to bits should I go ahead!

Sam
A T-Rex 450 weighs 700g all up, and moves at up to 40mph.

The earth weighs 6.585 x 10[sup]21[/sup] tons, and moves at 19 miles per second.

Do try not to hit it, 007.

mgorgis
Group Captain

by mgorgis » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:44 am

You cant reverse the head rotation as the auto rotation gear wont engage anymore but this could be cured if you turn the one way bearing upside down and you must turn the blades too. Why would you bother all this?
Martin

T-rex 700E AR7200BX
HPI Trophy Truggy Flux 1/8
Phoenix Sim
DX8

Sammy5
New Pilot

by Sammy5 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:42 am

mgorgis wrote:Why would you bother all this?

We have a long, probably mostly un-flyable winter ahead and it looks interesting to me. Good point about the AR bearing though - thanks!
A T-Rex 450 weighs 700g all up, and moves at up to 40mph.

The earth weighs 6.585 x 10[sup]21[/sup] tons, and moves at 19 miles per second.

Do try not to hit it, 007.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1