GUIDE: How To Level your swashplate

lovetoflyguy
Junior Pilot

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:51 pm
Post subject: GUIDE: How To Level your swashplate
Since I noticed several inquiries about swashplate levelling, I have been inspired to write a 'how-to' article. Enjoy!

I'm not sure if this will apply to other helis, but it should help anyone who owns a King or Cool. Also, I'm aware that there are several different levelling tools out there, but they should all work about the same. I'm using one designed for the Trex...

Here are a couple photos of the levelling tool that I will be using:

First, remove the upper "Jesus bolt" and nut, and put them somewhere safe - in a small bowl or something.

Next, carefully disconnect the four ball joints on the swashplate, noting which one goes to which - I used a little of my wife's fingernail polish to mark them (Don't tell her!). You should now be able to easily lift the rotor head assembly off. If it doesn't come off easily, make sure you disconnected all of the right joints...

It should look like this when you have the rotor head off. The arrows below point to the spots where the 'feet' of my levelling tool will rest when it's installed. Note - they will rest on the swashplate itself, not on the links.

Before you slide the tool on, we need to find out what your heli thinks 'level' is, so powerup your Tx, making sure your controls & tabs are all centered, disconnect the motor for safety, and powerup the heli. The servos should center themselves. Now, slide the tool down the rotor shaft, line it up, and check for gaps.

If you see any gaps, remove the tool, power down the heli, and adjust the three servo linkages as needed. Now power it back up (your Tx should be turned on throughout this process), reinstall the tool, and check for gaps again.

Repeat as needed, until there are no visible gaps...

Congratulations! Your swashplate is now level!

Now all you have to do is put it back together! If you decided that you wouldn't need to mark the balljoints as I suggested earlier, you may have problems at this stage - don't say I didn't warn you! Smile

Esky Honeybee King: JustGoFly 400DH motor, HB Cool 290mm main rotors, Sonix 30A esc w/bec, Mega Power 2200mah 18c battery, (4x) Hitec HS50 servos, Esky HH gyro, Stock Esky Tx/Rx, Super skids.

Remember, a good Landing is any landing, after which the aircraft can still be used...
Back to top Profile Private Message
Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
Board Alert Board Message
There are 35 posts in this topic to view if you are logged in.

Why Register?

• Your details are kept secure and private.
  • Heliguy.com will not share your details
  • You can unsubscribe at any time
PM Earlgrey for any forum queries.

Login here and be redirected to this Topic Register

Jump to: