Best 4ch micro heli for beginners

ON3Z3RO
New Pilot

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:07 pm
Post subject: Best 4ch micro heli for beginners
Hi all,

I'm sure, in fact from reading the first page of posts I know, that you get lots of posts like this one, but I do have a USP here so bear with me.

I'm new to RC Heli's with the exception of a cheap-o 3ch indoor "toy" heli I had a while ago which suffered a final, fatal blow that bent the main rotor axle. None-the-less this inspired me to take a better look at what else is available out there and take it up more seriously as I did enjoy flying it.

After some research I am torn between a Honeybee v2 and the Walkera CB100. The reasons for this are that although all the research and advice I've read on these forums and others suggests that the Honeybee is the best Heli for beginners, I'd also like something that is small enough to fly indoors, on the days where it's not good enough to fly outside, hence the CB100.

What I'd like to know is, is there another heli I may be overlooking that has the many benefits of the Honeybee, but is just a bit smaller, more like the CB100? I'd like to spend less than 150, preferably including a case and a spare battery, but not essential. Single rotor is also preferable as my last 3ch was co-axial and I'm looking for something that will take a little more skill, and thus is more rewarding, to fly.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Back to top Profile Private Message
BenjaminInterceptor400
Group Captain

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:27 pm
Post subject:
Hi,

I recommend a Blade MSR. Loads of fun.

Ben x
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBenjaminKenobi
Back to top Profile Private Message WWW
bandyn
Senior Pilot

Country of choice: Canada

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:10 pm
Post subject:
another one that I've heard is good is the walkera 4#3 and I'm actually torn over whether to get one myself. Its a 90 deg flybar so a little harder but def small enough to fly inside
jackeb
Fleet commander

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:49 pm
Post subject:
I'm throughly recommend the Nine Eagles Solo Pro. They're durable, apart from the rotor head. The little stubs that the blades fit on to break, but the ally head is only 13 US dollars. They fly great and you could get a couple of spares batteries and the mains charger and come in well under budget! Oh and spares, if you manage to break anything, are dirt cheap.
Dusty1000
Wing Commander

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:14 pm
Post subject:
The CB100 (like the mSR) has a self-stabilising 45 degree flybar. These helis will go into a stable hover (more or less), like a coaxial, when you let go of the cyclic stick.

So they will be considerably easier to fly than the HBFP, but won't teach you so much.
The HBFP with it's conventional 90 degree flybar handles much more like a collective pitch heli, in that you have to constantly be on the sticks to keep it in the air. Hence it is a very good trainer, so when you move onto a CP heli (which you will, we all do Very Happy ) you'll find you already know how to fly it.

This hobby is fun, not because helis are easy to fly, but because they are hard Very Happy

My first two single rotor helis were an HBFP and a Walkera 4#3. The 4#3 is much more useful indoors, but if I could only have had one, it would have been the HBFP without a doubt. Flying indoors is fun, but it doesn't come close to flying outdoors.

So I'd say the HBFP for sure, or if both are an option, then buy both. The Nine-Eagles Solo-Pro mentioned above is well worth a look from what I've heard. Very similar to the CB100, but without the unnecessary weight of the brushless motors' electronics. The TX looks similarly cheesy to the TX the mSR comes with, but it's around half the price.

Blade 400, mSR, mCPX
Sonix SX450SE
King2
HoneyBee FP
Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3 featuring jjetski 2.9g tail motor holder and fin
ON3Z3RO
New Pilot

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:55 pm
Post subject:
Thanks for everyones replies.

I've looked at the Nine Eagles Solo Pro 2 before and was thought it was a really good package complete with case and extra battery (shame about the horrible TX though), but then I saw some videos on YouTube of it that showed the rod (or whatever the technical term is) to the tail rotor was flexing making the whole heli vibrate and shake in the air. The Blade mSR looks like a very similar design to the Nine Eagles, even down to the size, shape and positioning of the battery holder, but it appears to be better made, as its higher price tag would suggest, but without a case.

How well do these type of micro heli fly outside? Are they useless in anything but a light breeze?

Cheeers
Dusty1000
Wing Commander

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:01 pm
Post subject:
FP helis in general aren't the best outside, although the non-self stabilising ones will always fare better than the self-stabilising ones, and the bigger the better.

The head design of the Solo-Pro actually has much more in common with the CB100 than the mSR. So much so that Nine-Eagles announced their intention to sue Walkera for copying them.

Blade 400, mSR, mCPX
Sonix SX450SE
King2
HoneyBee FP
Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3 featuring jjetski 2.9g tail motor holder and fin
ON3Z3RO
New Pilot

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:54 am
Post subject:
Thanks Dusty,

I've done some more looking around, and it seems that for the price I would pay for the mSR and a case, I could also get the HBFPv2, which it seems would present more of a challenge to fly and would be more capable outdoors.

I can't really justify spending the money on two heli's right now, when I'm only starting out. But if I get on well with the HBFP then I might get a mSR or similar to practice indoors as well, at a later date.

Thanks for everyones help!

Cheers
ON3Z3RO
New Pilot

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:15 am
Post subject:
Gah!

Now I'm more confused after reading some posts in the HBFP forum. Is the HBFP going to present too steep a learning curve? Some people are saying that it's taken them 4 months to master hovering and are just starting forward flight!?

Then again, would the mSR be too simple and not present enough of a challenge to keep it interesting? The HBFP seems like the better quality product, but now I'm concerned I'll get too frustrated with it.

Sorry guys, any more advice/thoughts?

Cheers
Friskle
Group Captain

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:43 am
Post subject:

ON3Z3RO wrote:

Gah!

Now I'm more confused after reading some posts in the HBFP forum. Is the HBFP going to present too steep a learning curve? Some people are saying that it's taken them 4 months to master hovering and are just starting forward flight!?

Then again, would the mSR be too simple and not present enough of a challenge to keep it interesting? The HBFP seems like the better quality product, but now I'm concerned I'll get too frustrated with it.

Cheers

I started with a Twister V2, similar to the HBFP, every day for two weeks and got a stable hover after two weeks and 3 days, the bottom line is not all heli related, whats more relevant is the amount of patience you have and also whether you are going to attempt to learn correctly, or learn in a fashion where your going to wreck it first time the battery is connected.

If you do it properly, it really should not take to long to sustain a first stable hover, most peoples early mishaps and states of depression, is all down to the fact that most of those people tried to hard at first to get her in the air.

I found it extremely difficult at first, it was hard for me, but i had no intentions of believing they were easy, take your time, dont rush, the first hover will be not as far away as you may first think.
The handyman
Acro Wot IC
Radian Pro
Bixler 2
DJI WKM X650V4 Quad + T-Motor 800KV + Aurora 9 + GoPro + 2-Axis Brushless Gimbal
DJI Phantom
LADYBIRD Micro Quad
Twister Quad
MCPX BL
Chorley Model Club now taking members
Friskle
Group Captain

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:49 am
Post subject:
[quote="Friskle"]

ON3Z3RO wrote:

Gah!

Cheers

I started with a Twister V2, similar to the HBFP, every day for two weeks and got a stable hover after two weeks and 3 days, the bottom line is not all heli related, whats more relevant is the amount of patience you have and also whether you are going to attempt to learn correctly, or learn in a fashion where your going to wreck it first time the battery is connected.

If you do it properly, it really should not take to long to sustain a first stable hover, most peoples early mishaps and states of depression, is all down to the fact that most of those people tried to hard at first to get her in the air.

I found it extremely difficult at first, it was hard for me, but i had no intentions of believing they were easy, take your time, dont rush, the first hover will be not as far away as you may first think.

So i fully recommend the HBFP or similar, my opinion only, but, i see it this way, why shell out on something that will help a little, before something that will help a lot?

I see little point in buying something that may only interest you for a few weeks, then you go out and buy something with more of a challenge, if you want to learn to fly, get the HBFP first, little MsRs etc can come later to simply whizz round for fun.
The handyman
Acro Wot IC
Radian Pro
Bixler 2
DJI WKM X650V4 Quad + T-Motor 800KV + Aurora 9 + GoPro + 2-Axis Brushless Gimbal
DJI Phantom
LADYBIRD Micro Quad
Twister Quad
MCPX BL
Friskle
Group Captain

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:50 am
Post subject:
sorry, that kind of went wrong :/
The handyman
Acro Wot IC
Radian Pro
Bixler 2
DJI Phantom
LADYBIRD Micro Quad
Twister Quad
MCPX BL
ON3Z3RO
New Pilot

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:58 pm
Post subject:
Thanks Friskle,

I think I've got pretty good hand to eye co-ordination and knack for small control movements after years of playing computer games (I knew there was a good reason for it afterall!), so hopefully that will hold me in good stead to adapt to heli flying.

Cheers
bandyn
Senior Pilot

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:14 pm
Post subject:
I found the HBFP for learning hover was great, again a couple batteries a day and youll have a stable tail in in a couple weeks. Transitioning to forward flight and learning orientations does take longer but thats where a sim comes in really handy. Plus crashing in the sim is a lot less expensive and rebuilds take no time at all Razz!
Dusty1000
Wing Commander

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:30 pm
Post subject:

bandyn wrote:

I found the HBFP for learning hover was great, again a couple batteries a day and youll have a stable tail in in a couple weeks. Transitioning to forward flight and learning orientations does take longer ...

Which is why you're unlikely to get bored quickly with the HBFP.

I started out with coaxial helis and less than two months later I found I wanted more of a challenge. Once I learned to hover my HBFP, the coaxial helis became ornaments.

Blade 400, mSR, mCPX
Sonix SX450SE
King2
HoneyBee FP
bandyn
Senior Pilot

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:44 pm
Post subject:
Oh for sure, it just sounded like he figured he might get frustrated and give up if he wasnt doing flips in idle up within a month (exaggeration I know) so maybe a good trainer heli (HBFP) and a decent sim would keep the interest up
chris4652009
Junior Pilot

Country of choice: United Kingdom

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:29 am
Post subject:
Hi ON3Z3RO

I am very new to it all too (I come from a RC car background, nitro and electric)
I started with a 3ch Syma Apache a couple of weeks ago (don't laugh too much) and got to grips with it instantly so I bought my first 4ch FP on Friday and I'm really enjoying the challenge of mastering a 4ch Fixed pitch Heli

I went for the Nine Eagles Pro 60 including free postage and two Li-Pros

go fir it, you will not be disappointed Cool
mdee
Junior Pilot

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:54 pm
Post subject:

Dusty1000 wrote:

The CB100 (like the mSR) has a self-stabilising 45 degree flybar. These helis will go into a stable hover (more or less), like a coaxial, when you let go of the cyclic stick.

CB100 is nowhere near as stable as mSR and flies in very very different way.
These two are really two very different helicopters. I have both of them. CB100 won't hover by itself for as long as mSR, for starters.

If you have big living room (5x5 meters minimum with little to no furniture), I'd recommend CB100 - otherwise mSR - if you fly CB100 into a flat screen at speed, you going to destroy both helicopter and TV. Same accident with mSR - you will destory none. CB100 weights twice as much as msR, has discrete metal parts (that means a lot of tinkering), separate servos, separate rx and ESC.
msR is all plastic and 5 in 1 electronic (one piece which does it all). You cannot really destroy that thing and even if you do damage it, repairing takes 5 minutes (can cost a lot if you damage 5 in 1 tho, around 60, but you jmust really try to be able to kill it).

You will learn much more about helicopters and setup from CB100 than msr.

For bigger helicopters, I think anything bigger than typical micro heli class (120, which is walkera 4#6 an), FP helis are waste of money, I am a newbie tho, so I might be talking out of my bum - but for me FP helicopters ended at walkera 4#6s (which is good enough for learning basic skills) and now is CP onwards (started with trex 250 as soon as I've tried one I bought one)

Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt Wink
y2blade
New Pilot

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:38 am
Post subject:
BuzzFly here and very happy with it Smile

Chris
Dusty1000
Wing Commander

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:29 am
Post subject:
[quote="mdee"]

Dusty1000 wrote:

These two are really two very different helicopters. I have both of them. CB100 won't hover by itself for as long as mSR, for starters.

I don't doubt that for a minute. My point was that both 'self-stabilise' compared to a conventional heli Smile

For bigger helicopters, I think anything bigger than typical micro heli class (120, which is walkera 4#6 an), FP helis are waste of money

The HBFP is bigger than the 4#6, so I'm afraid I must disagree here Smile

Blade 400, mSR, mCPX
Sonix SX450SE
King2
HoneyBee FP
Friskle
Group Captain

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:31 am
Post subject:

mdee wrote:

Dusty1000 wrote:

If you have big living room (5x5 meters minimum with little to no furniture), I'd recommend CB100 - otherwise mSR - if you fly CB100 into a flat screen at speed, you going to destroy both helicopter and TV. Same accident with mSR - you will destory none. CB100 weights twice as much as msR, has discrete metal parts (that means a lot of tinkering), separate servos, separate rx and ESC.
msR is all plastic and 5 in 1 electronic (one piece which does it all). You cannot really destroy that thing and even if you do damage it, repairing takes 5 minutes (can cost a lot if you damage 5 in 1 tho, around 60, but you jmust really try to be able to kill it).

You will learn much more about helicopters and setup from CB100 than msr.

For bigger helicopters, I think anything bigger than typical micro heli class (120, which is walkera 4#6 an), FP helis are waste of money, I am a newbie tho, so I might be talking out of my bum - but for me FP helicopters ended at walkera 4#6s (which is good enough for learning basic skills) and now is CP onwards (started with trex 250 as soon as I've tried one I bought one)

Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt Wink

So, your saying if i fly my MSR straight into my flat screen its ok? it wont get damaged? can i come back to for damage claim if it does? lol

As for larger FP`s being a waste of money thats utter rubbish, with the HBFP you can fly that to its fullest, and become a very competent flyer with one, good days outside, its spot on, i also learned to hover my "larger" FP in my living room, roughly 6x5 space, easily done with patience,
The handyman
Acro Wot IC
Radian Pro
Bixler 2
DJI Phantom
LADYBIRD Micro Quad
Twister Quad
MCPX BL
jeta1
New Pilot

Country of choice: United Kingdom

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:06 am
Post subject:
There is a comment in this thread which makes a point about difference between a 45 degree flybar and 90 degree flybar; could some kind soul please explain the difference (other than 45degrees!!!).

Much appreciated...
scuba-steve
Flight Commander

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:25 am
Post subject:
they call it the Bell Rotor System. basically, the 90 degree flybar and paddles has been changed so the flybar itself sits 45 degres to the main blades and the paddles have been replaced by little weights. its supposed to make the flight much more stable....so aiming it at newbies in my opinion. the down side is more heli weight meaning less flight time from your battery.

i learnt the basics on my 4#3b over about 6 months indoors ( not the same heli in the end as i replaced those parts about a hundred times....man i could strip that puppy down to its tiniest part and rebuild it) and hell it was twitchy. a little more stability would of been great but you do get sick of charging those batteries too Shocked
Phoenix V3.0
Imax B6, icharger 206B, Voltz PSU
heliguy.com
Site Owner

Country of choice:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Post subject:
Hello

We think we have put together a great option for a 4 channel beginner option...

http://www.heliguy.com/Electric-RC-Helicopters/Heliguy-Firefly/Heliguy-Firefly/
http://www.heliguy.com/article/Firefly-versus-Honeybee-V2/

Thanks
Jump to: