Aqua-copter – a tale of woe

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
maxrevs
New Pilot

Aqua-copter – a tale of woe

by maxrevs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:22 pm

I’ve read many times about how difficult it can be to fly RC helis; noting how many beginners have crashed in the first minute of flight; how you should spend plenty of time on a sim, and/or diligently follow RADDS, etc etc.

Well, Mr Impatient here just couldn’t wait could he. I thought: “I’ll just spin it up on the patio to see what it’s like”. What happened next was just a blur of over-reaction, panic, and moving the wrong sticks at the wrong time.

Poor little Honeybee smacked into the house and plummeted eight feet to the ground. Well, it would have been the ground had it not been for the dog’s bucket of water which the HB plunged head-first into!! Oh well, at least the water broke it’s fall; and very conveniently the blades stopped turning so it didn’t continue to thrash itself to death.

Plenty of kitchen roll, air-duster, hairdryer, and overnight in the airing cupboard dried it out OK. Then I was able to assess for damage: new rotorhead, straightened flybar and we're good to go. Or so I thought!

Upon checking functions and trim I noticed that when I moved the cyclic it was only the flybar paddles that were tilting. "That doesn't seem right, surely the main blades should tilt too. I'll spin it up and watch whether the blades tilt when they're spinning."

I didn't want it to get away from me again so I held the tail boom and watched what the blades did whilst I operated the cyclic with my other hand. Big mistake.

Left, right, forwards: all fine, backwards . . . blades tilt back . . . straight into my hand, chopping me up till I could get the throttle off.

Result: some cuts and bruising, a busted ring-like, and another happy hour fixing and trueing everything up.

I can hardly believe it all happened – but it did. I know. I watched me do it!!!

Real Keystone Cops stuff, but hey, it's funny now looking back. Lessons learnt (hopefully).

Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
----------
HoneyBee FP V2
(can't fly it yet but can dive it head first into a bucket of water)

silentpilot
Fleet commander

by silentpilot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Please, please, please take time to do some research before you hurt yourself again!!

RC helis can bite, you know that now :evil:

To check all is working properly secure the heli somehow, not with your hand. You need both to operate a heli...

May I suggest you try a smaller, easier model to fly first. A 120SR would do you well, they also survive crashes a lot better :wink:

Dont let this put you off, but please be carefull :roll:
Cheers, Tony.

Belt CP VOR (long term project)

Blade Trilogy: mSR, 120SR, mCP X
Trex Trilogy: 100, 450 Pro, 550E 3G

Futaba 10CG, Spektrum DX6i, DX8
CellPro 4S Gold
RealFlight 4.5 / Phoenix V3

More Planks than Homebase!

odamm
Flight Commander

by odamm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:57 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: +1 to the above - please take your time and pay attention to detail; that way you'll have lots of fun with minimum risk. Honeybee upwards are not toys anymore and require a level of respect :D
Oliver

Raptor 50V2, metal head, GP750 etc.
HK450, GY401, JR DS3400G tail servo
Trex 450, G401B, DS520
Belt CP, RDTS, G401B,...

niner
Flight Commander

Re: Aqua-copter – a tale of woe

by niner » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:19 pm

I feel your pain, I am yet to crash my HB and Im not looking forward to it, what makes it worse is I know its going to happen so i am reluctent to get it off the ground :?

I am sorry to say this but I read this you wrote-
maxrevs wrote:I didn't want it to get away from me again so I held the tail boom and watched what the blades did whilst I operated the cyclic with my other hand. Big mistake.

Left, right, forwards: all fine, backwards . . . blades tilt back . . . straight into my hand, chopping me up till I could get the throttle off.

And burst out laughing to myself, I know it's not funny and it could have been bad but I think it was the way you told it :lol:

Have a look at this to make yourself feel better about dunking your heli.

http://www.heliguy.com/Forum/2010-heli- ... 54034.html
Cheers, Martin.

Blade mCPX
Blade 120SR Trex 250 skid mod & boom supports
Blade mSR Carbon skids & Alu swash.
Syma S006G (on the butchers slab!)
Maplin Lynx
Maplin Chinook (good for annoying the cats!)
DX6i

strike-down
Group Captain

by strike-down » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 pm

I do agree, please please please NEVER hold these heli's in your hand when you're testing them, or get anywhere near the blades. Preferably get a lazy sue, and bolt/strap the heli down to that, then you can spool up from a distance and be able to set your tail up. If not, bolt/strap it to a work bench. You're lucky it was just a honeybee fp that you tried it on and not a much more powerful CP heli. Look on youtube for rc helicopter injuries, there is a video (that ISNT for the faint hearted) that will show exactly what these helicopters can do if not respected.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdIlUYiVmnc (gore warning)

The honeybee is a great learning heli, the 120sr doesnt teach you anything helisimrc or fms wont teach you. Its just too stable. Follow RADDs to the letter with your honeybee and you'll be flying in no time at all. Be safe, and more importantly, enjoy ;)

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers,
Craig

Trex 700E 3G
CopterX 450 Pro 3G
CopterX 450 SE V2
Belt CP V2 3G
Walkera V120D02
Blade mCPX
Blade mSR
Blade mCPX BL
Blade mSRX

DX8
Cellpro 10S

silentpilot
Fleet commander

by silentpilot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:05 pm

strike-down wrote:The honeybee is a great learning heli, the 120sr doesnt teach you anything.......
I guess I know what you mean here Craig. I use the 120 for indoor orientation training, but yes it is a bit too stable and wont really teach you how to fly a bigger heli...
Cheers, Tony.

CellPro 4S Gold

strike-down
Group Captain

by strike-down » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:13 pm

silentpilot wrote:
strike-down wrote:The honeybee is a great learning heli, the 120sr doesnt teach you anything.......
I guess I know what you mean here Craig. I use the 120 for indoor orientation training, but yes it is a bit too stable and wont really teach you how to fly a bigger heli...

It is a very good orientation training heli, I have an msr for that. And a good blast as well :) I just think that learning on a heli with a 90deg flybar is far more beneficial in the long term, as you're then not learning things twice :)
Cheers,

Craig

Trex 700E 3G

CopterX 450 Pro 3G

CopterX 450 SE V2

Belt CP V2 3G

Walkera V120D02

Blade mCPX

Blade mSR

Blade mCPX BL

Blade mSRX

DX8

Cellpro 10S

Jimi Wishbone
Fleet commander

by Jimi Wishbone » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Sounds like you actually got away with it! Even the baldes on my mSR when powered down sting the fingers, wouldn't want to think about the damage a Bee could do.
Cheers, Jamie
Blade MSR, little hooligan :lol:
Blade 120sr squirrel chaser! :lol:
Blade SR Garden Patrol Vehicle
Blade 400 work in progress
Blade mCPX it's a bit of an animal! :evil:
DX6i DSM with added X! :D

silentpilot
Fleet commander

by silentpilot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:56 pm

I thought it would be obvious that a Bee will Sting if mistreated :wink:
Cheers, Tony.

CellPro 4S Gold

Jimi Wishbone
Fleet commander

by Jimi Wishbone » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Lmao! Oh deary, deary me! :lol:
Cheers, Jamie

Blade MSR, little hooligan :lol:

Blade 120sr squirrel chaser! :lol:

Blade SR Garden Patrol Vehicle

Blade 400 work in progress

Blade mCPX it's a bit of an animal! :evil:

DX6i DSM with added X! :D

silentpilot
Fleet commander

by silentpilot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Sorry, couldn't help myself!! Didn't want to miss that one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers, Tony.

CellPro 4S Gold

vortexring
Group Captain

by vortexring » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:12 pm

What can I say apart from totally agree with all this.

Mind you not too long ago, vortex's honey bee blew its 5 amp fuze when smarty pants her tried to pick up the Tx by the throttle stick - true !!!

Please do the fuze mod NOW before you either burn out the 4 in1 or chop your fingers off - yes a honey bee can chop fingers and fence panels as well !!

Don't worry we've all been there, done that and thought phew I'll be more carefull next time - it is a very good lesson and no harm done apart from dignity and the wallet - thanks for shareing it with us

Seriously though, the honey bee IS hard to fly and a Blade SR120 (or Walkera cb 100) is much easier and can be flown indoors without much risk or damage to get the idea .

Also how about a flight sim?

the FMS came with the honey bee but it won't work easily on Vista or Win 7

Personally I think the £25.00 downloaded "clearview" is good - and you 25 minutes of try before you buy first !

Alternatively there are other completely free ones on the web which may or may not be as good - don't know cos I haven't tried.

Of course if you want the bees knees of simulators there is Phoenix, but its three times the price ( at least) .

Anyway welcome to the Honey Bee Appreciation and Upgrade society.
Blade 130 X - Gerald
Blade mCPX - Cedric
Blade SR UH-1 Huey - Hank
Walkera CB100s - Laurel & Hardy

Flying Ornaments
Walkera CX - Flossie
Upgraded & Spectrumised Honey Bee V2 - Cecelia

Tx Dx 6i
Flight Sim Phoenix

maxrevs
New Pilot

Re: Aqua-copter – a tale of woe

by maxrevs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:43 pm

niner wrote:I feel your pain, I am yet to crash my HB and Im not looking forward to it, what makes it worse is I know its going to happen so i am reluctent to get it off the ground :?
I know what you mean about being reluctant to get it off the ground. Flying on a sim is one thing, but get out there with the real thing and it's a whole new ballgame – especially if you do everything wrong like I did. No-one's going to be daft enough to repeat that – not even me :oops:

niner wrote:I am sorry to say this but I read this you wrote-
maxrevs wrote:I didn't want it to get away from me again so I held the tail boom and watched what the blades did whilst I operated the cyclic with my other hand. Big mistake.

And burst out laughing to myself, I know it's not funny and it could have been bad but I think it was the way you told it :lol:
I was aiming for humour – it helps ease the pain & embarassment :D

niner wrote:Have a look at this to make yourself feel better about dunking your heli.

http://www.heliguy.com/Forum/2010-heli- ... 54034.html
Wow – smackdown is the right word indeed. I lost count of how many went down in that first vid. But I tell you what, in that second vid there was some really, really nice flying. Those big helis do the 3D moves a bit slower and more gracefully than the little ones which sometimes flip, turn and twitch so fast I can't tell what they're doing. Can you more experienced guys tell what size those big uns were – I thought they were gorgeous (and so were some of the chicks on the beach)
Regards,

Chris

----------

HoneyBee FP V2

strike-down
Group Captain

by strike-down » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 pm

The majority of the bigg'uns will be 700/90 size, then maybe a couple of slightly smaller 600/50 size heli's. I fly a flybarless Trex 700E, and even though I need a pants change after flying it, it is a much much smoother flying heli than any of my 450 size heli's :D and incredibly stable too making it easier to fly. But the noise it makes is something else, second only to a turbine 700 ;) Downside is crash expense, average is around £300-400 :( not something you can afford everyday :lol:

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers,

Craig

Trex 700E 3G

CopterX 450 Pro 3G

CopterX 450 SE V2

Belt CP V2 3G

Walkera V120D02

Blade mCPX

Blade mSR

Blade mCPX BL

Blade mSRX

DX8

Cellpro 10S

maxrevs
New Pilot

by maxrevs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:57 pm

strike-down wrote:The majority of the bigg'uns will be 700/90 size, then maybe a couple of slightly smaller 600/50 size heli's. I fly a flybarless Trex 700E, and even though I need a pants change after flying it, it is a much much smoother flying heli than any of my 450 size heli's :D and incredibly stable too making it easier to fly. But the noise it makes is something else, second only to a turbine 700 ;) Downside is crash expense, average is around £300-400 :( not something you can afford everyday :lol:
Cheers,
Craig
I dream of one day being competent enough to own 'a big un'. I've heard the noise some of them make on YouTube vids and it's spine-tingling – I bet experiencing it in real life is something else. But hells teeth, £300-£400 crash damage? That's scary!! :shock:
Regards,

Chris

----------

HoneyBee FP V2

maxrevs
New Pilot

by maxrevs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Many, many thanks to all responders for their excellent responses and sage advice. Shows what great attitude to the hobby and newbies the people on this forum have.
Regards,

Chris

----------

HoneyBee FP V2

strike-down
Group Captain

by strike-down » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:12 pm

With practise you'll get there mate :) Its not an easy hobby by any stretch of the imagination, but its one of the most rewarding :) It is expensive on the large heli's, but well worth it imho :) grin factor is huge :D Once you get bitten by the bug, theres no going back.
Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers,

Craig

Trex 700E 3G

CopterX 450 Pro 3G

CopterX 450 SE V2

Belt CP V2 3G

Walkera V120D02

Blade mCPX

Blade mSR

Blade mCPX BL

Blade mSRX

DX8

Cellpro 10S

paulsouthport
Group Leader

Website: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSouthport?feature=mhum

by paulsouthport » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 pm

The big birds are awesome!
This is a rubbish vid of my 600ESP, I was trying to keep it in the seriously low camera angle of an iphone, but it captures the noise quite well!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHnsRfPxBk[/youtube]

That's why they are called choppers.

But, the 450's are far more forgiving, especially in crash costs! Luckily I've only busted 1 TT gear, no crashes, on the 600 since I got it in October. But then, I don't push it like on the 450's!

Trex 450 Pro, BeastX, 450MX
mCPX
FL Spitfire - Rest In Pieces
Recycloquad (tm)
Edge 540 Foamy
AXN Floater Jet

DX6i, gt power a606, imax b6, A610
http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSouthport?feature=mhum

strike-down
Group Captain

by strike-down » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 pm

One of my favourite videos that gets the noise and power of these big birds in the clip is szabo's first demo of the 700E 3G
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRcwJ8lS0iw[/youtube]

Something to look forward to :)

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers,

Craig

Trex 700E 3G

CopterX 450 Pro 3G

CopterX 450 SE V2

Belt CP V2 3G

Walkera V120D02

Blade mCPX

Blade mSR

Blade mCPX BL

Blade mSRX

DX8

Cellpro 10S

silentpilot
Fleet commander

by silentpilot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:34 pm

These vids are AWESOME!

I'm only a lottery win away from learning how to do this stuff myself :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers, Tony.

CellPro 4S Gold

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1