550 vs 600

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
o0dekker0o
Fleet commander

550 vs 600

by o0dekker0o » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:13 pm

I've been looking at getting a Trex 600 but the new one is asking for 2 massive lipos per flight. So I was considering a 550 which is a little bit smaller but handles itself well in the wind. As far as the batteries go I can get 2 x lipos for the same price as 1 flights worth of 600 lipos. Does the 550 look like it's here to stay and will spare parts always available ? I'm not looking for hard 3d but i want something that can handle aerobatics in the wind.

Also, What are the advantages of 3G , I am used to FB, should I stick with it to save money ? I guess I could always upgrade afterward when I want / need it.

mgorgis
Group Captain

by mgorgis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Martin

T-rex 700E AR7200BX
HPI Trophy Truggy Flux 1/8
Phoenix Sim
DX8

crackerj
Group Captain

by crackerj » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Not going to say which model is best as it's a lot to do with personal preference, but I have had the pleasure to own all the align range at different times and all I can say is I've returned to the 550 8)

The 700E took two large lipo's at a time and though fun was a pain where the lipo's were concerned, the 600 was nice but underpowered with one bty so the 550 is for me the ideal choice.

I've flown in some pretty strong winds with all sizes and consider the 550 capable of handling anything I consider worth the effort of going out in.

I've been FBL (3G) for a few years now and prefer it but many people don't like it, upgrading is very easy and not too expensive so that might be a route to consider.

John

shocky34
Flight Commander

by shocky34 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi,
You might also like to check out a new one ...

www.align-trex dot co dot uk are selling the V1 super combo for only £460.

I've just built one and I'm very happy with it :D

Steve
Trex 700LE (N) - DS610, DS650
Trex 550, DS610, DS620
Trex 450 Pro, DS410, DS420
Blade mCPx

DX8
Phoenix

jonwalker
Junior Pilot

by jonwalker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:38 am

I fly flybarred versions of 550 and 600 pro on a regular basis. Both are really good and I am fairly sure that you would not feel disappointed with either.

Both do a similar job, but each has some key differences. The 550 v1 is a relatively simple model to construct and maintain. It uses the old style Align head which has been around for years and a combination of parts from a 500 and v1 600. This was good for me as it fitted in well with my existing stock of spare parts. All of the cyclic servos are direct to swash and the frames give plenty of room to route the wires and electronics. Its a simple model to maintain and fix when the worst happens.

The best bit of 550 is the way that it flies. It has bags of power and great stability. It can also be jaw droppingly quick in forward flight. It is big enough to see but small enough to throw around. I only fly sport, but mine has also been quite kind to its lipos so far.

The 600 pro is a different beast all together. From an engineering standpoint it is streets ahead. It really feels well made. The way the servos are fitted around the motor and the motor mount are neat features. The drive train has slant cut gears and runs more quietly than 550. I found the new style Align head just slightly more difficult to set up, but it has the advantage of allowing you to tune it to suit your flying style.

The best bit about 600 pro is the way it looks. I love the squat aggressive look, which gives it great presence in the air. For me it feels a much bigger model than 550 even though the physical difference is not that great.

There are a couple of disadvantages to the 600. The first is the batteries. I naively thought I could recycle some 500 packs for this model. In theory this is correct, but in practice it does not really work. Unless both packs are perfectly matched (same age, cycles and usage profile) it will take a toll on one of the packs. I found this to my cost and bought a pile of 3300 Turnigys specifically for this model. The other issue I have encountered is a design issue. The model is clearly designed for massive headspeeds. From memory Align talk about 2400 or 2500 rpm. As a sport flyer this is over the top so I felt a more reasonable approach would be 2050. At this headspeed there is a lack of tail authority, where the tail will step out under high loads. I have split the difference and gone with 2200 but still get the impression that the tail hangs on for grim life. I am not completely up to speed on this but understand there are ways around the problem with bigger tail blades or different gearing.

Overall the 600 flies great. It makes great power and feels crisp and precise. As with the 550 it can be very quick in forward flight. It probably has the edge when it gets breezy because of its size and weight.

This summer I have probably got a few more flights in with the 550 but have flown both models a fair amount. If someone put a gun to my head and told me that I could only keep one I think it would have to be the 550. That is not to say that I would give up the 600 without a fight but the 550 for me just encourages me to fly a bit harder because it inspires confidence and is easy (but not cheap) to fix.

You pay your money and take your choice.....

Jon.
TRex 250se
TRex 450 pro v2
TRex 500cf, full metal jacket
TRex 550, quark
TRex 600e pro
TRex 600 nitro le
TRex 700 nitro le
All ruled by Dx7

mgorgis
Group Captain

by mgorgis » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:30 am

Very nice review jonwalker, I like personal opinions and not just "buy this and not that" if you know what I mean :) I'm having tail authority problem with my 600EFL and I too have 2100 HS so I'll try 2400-2500 and see if it gets better. One other solution is to use 700 tail blades but if so, you must change the vertical fin or else the blades will hit the ground (longer than the stock blades). I'm still waiting for my CC 80HV that was sent back due to recall and now after more than three months I've still not seen anything :( da*n Castle Crea(sh*t)
Martin

T-rex 700E AR7200BX

Phoenix Sim

DX8

jonwalker
Junior Pilot

by jonwalker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:32 am

Cheers Martin,

I have read the stuff on the larger tail blades but have not changed mine from the stock set up. The 700 sized fin sounds a good idea. I have seen some one replace the rear undercarriage stay with one from a 550 or 700 (I think they are the same), to give a nose down look which gets the tail well clear of the floor. I found the step to 2200 headspeed made a big difference to the tails performance and is quite a good compromise in terms of reducing stress on the airframe and not killing the lipos.

You are quite right to mention the Castle Cremations esc as it has been a weak point of the 600pro. I am unsure as to whether the current kits have the v2 controller or if you still have to send the esc away for replacement. Either way, it must be disappointing to be in your position still waiting for the replacement. For my part, I have missed out on all the esc fun. I had one of the first kits and by the time the story about the flammable esc got out I had already had dozens of flights. My thinking was that if it had not blown up already, it was unlikely to do so. It follows that I have not sent mine back. Hopefully these are not famous last words and it wont go bang next time out. I have tried to minimise the risk by soldering the series connection directly to the esc wires rather than having a separate series harness. The shorter wires and fewer connections should give the esc an easier life.

I hope you get yours back in the air soon.

Regards,

Jon.
TRex 250se

TRex 450 pro v2

TRex 500cf, full metal jacket

TRex 550, quark

TRex 600e pro

TRex 600 nitro le

TRex 700 nitro le

All ruled by Dx7

mgorgis
Group Captain

by mgorgis » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:41 am

I had a couple of flights before sending it back. The recall is due to "the risk" of catching fire and not actually catching fire but if I were you, I wouldn't risk the heli because of the ESC. There is/are components in the ESC that is/are underdimensioned which soon or later will fail and cause you problems then you won't get any warranty! ;) it's frustrating to wait almost four months and if I knew it would take this long I'd buy another ESC but the days are passing and I thinking that it'll arrive any day soon. You could get yourself a cheap Turnigy ESC and use it until you get back your CC from the recall, don't burn you nice heli down!
Regarding the under carrige solution I think it's good but I would upgrade the fin also as with the higher back carrige the tail blades are still longer than the fin and could hit the ground if you land/take off not totally horizontally or if the ground is grass and you don't see if it's plan or not :)
Martin

T-rex 700E AR7200BX

Phoenix Sim

DX8

o0dekker0o
Fleet commander

by o0dekker0o » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:47 am

so if i buy a second hand 550 v1 should i replace the ESC. My flying style is just circuits and loops at the moment indle up mode.

If I do have to upgrade, what should I buy ?

readytofly
Fleet commander

by readytofly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:23 pm

i like my 550 a lot. i think at this moment i like it more than my trex 600 esp. i think 550 is more responsive. both helis i have have the same 600mx motor, but because 550 is a little smaller and lighter, the motor works better on it.

fbl is a great advantage. the heli definitely flies more stable. it resembles a heli on the simulator. the downsize to me is having to learn how to set it up properly, what sometimes can be a pain in the ass, due to the number of parameters.
Trex 550 E, Trex 600 Esp, Spektrum DX7

st200ol
Group Captain

by st200ol » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:15 pm

o0dekker0o wrote:so if i buy a second hand 550 v1 should i replace the ESC. My flying style is just circuits and loops at the moment indle up mode.

If I do have to upgrade, what should I buy ?

The 550 V1 esc is fine, its a 6s setup as standard, not HV. Its the 600 V2 that had the issues, with the castle HV controller.
Regards,
Steve.

HK450
Blade mSR
Plus other stuff but I don't list it, incase the wife is looking over my shoulder :)

hedonist222
New Pilot

by hedonist222 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:01 pm

Posting so i can be subscribed to the topic.
I don't see a "subscribe to topic".

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1